Friday, June 12, 2015

Island Time (Aelan Taem) Growing Pains...

So I've adjusted pretty well to my new home in Vila. It's great to walk to work everyday, knowing I can head home at lunch time and check the clothes on the line or cook a good meal. I've felt out where I belong in the community of the Vanuatu Cultural Center, (Vanuatu Kaljoral Senta in Bislama, which is why its acronym is VKS) so it's time to GET TO WORK!


stroll from Peace Corps Office to work

where I swim on the weekends if the weather behaves!

Full house at Wan Smol Bag.....this would have been an excellent crowd for Garrick Players!

Now THIS is a general store! Head-to-toe service, groceries, and books! All the Midas way!

Slow Food Movement Opening....green coconuts are back, take that Cyclone Pam!

Ministry of Agriculture Garden, I'm so jealous!

So my new Nokia-like phone isn't the best, but this is canned Morel mushrooms on sale at a French grocery story! The medium jar was on sale for $25.

So far I've churned out an updated office directory, $100,000 grant proposal (composed in 3 days, mind you) and have begun the construction of my 3D relief map that will be a permanent exhibit in the Vanuatu National Museum to give back and leave a tangible piece of me here (I did artwork for El Greco in Australia, world maps and a mural in El Muro in Guatemala, so this is next!).

I've used my moving-in allowance to get this project off the ground, so about $150 USD. I've received some donations, so thanks guys! Only $100 to go to finish it!

Graphing out island elevations

after new plywood, 1 coat of black "primer" and 2 coats of white, my canvas is ready!

smaller island elevation to be applied directly to wall as a mixture of Spackling (thanks for bringin' me some Corey!) and painter's caulking mixed with schredded cereal box cardboard

It's hard to believe that Wendy and I've only been on the job for 30 days! Every week is a challenge, but I'm growing and learning more professionally than I have in years!

Cheers to well deserved island pizza courtesy of wifey Wendy, along with some decent wine, happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment