Monday, November 23, 2015

November Naoia

So November....it's sticky, sometimes rainy, but still ever so gorgeous. Early November I had a bad cough/sinus infection (it's going around the island) so I was out of commission for the first couple of weeks. However, November 1st was crazy because the t-shirt printing shop close to my house (1/2 block) caught on fire in a series of probably arson of a political nature but SABER. Anyway captured this:

For the video click here

Peace Corps evacuated me to the fancy Coconut Palms Resort for the night since my power was cut. Unfortunately I was pretty sick but there was a wonderful breakfast buffet and sparkling pool that I recovered by the next day! Unfortunately the aftermath was pretty bad, and who knows what the business insurance policy is here:



On a happier note the Vanuatu Cultural Centre (VKS), where I work, put on the first Teouma Lapita Festival to celebrate the findings of Lapita remains (mostly pottery and burial sites with complete skeletons) so we were out in Teouma for 5 days celebrating that including local food, dances from around the islands, and live entertainment at night, it was a blast!

Banner designed by Jimmy...we used my leftover paint to finish it off :)

photo by VKS

photo by VKS

big tam tam music, photo VKS

This was hilarious! So much fun, he was screaming because he is "sick" but wants to dance,
photo VKS


And a magic show afterwards!

prizes for the sporting events included rice, eggs, and cow freshly slaughtered

The boyz


Sista Evelyne is the BEST! Makin' traditional food in bamboo shoots with saltwater, grated manioc and island cabbage, so good!





No comments:

Post a Comment