Saturday, September 3, 2016

Mi Stap Bakegen!

Hallllooooooo everyone!

So after a brief 6 month hop over to Paraguay to further my sociolinguistic research on Portunhol (the mix of Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese) I am BACK in Vila as a Field Project Coordinator for the Max Planck Institute.

You can check out their wonderful research, including our Vanuatu project here.


I'm establishing our field base here in Vila while supporting our researchers trekkin' through the bush on Malekula island. Was sorry to miss the scouting trip on the boat this time around, hopefully next year! Anywhoo met some great folks and reconnecting with my VKS (cultural centre) family, mi bin misim yu tumas!

didn't forget how beautiful the sunsets are here...here's from my backyard!

relaxing day on Erakor Island with several games of 7-lock and a cold brewski

Stopped by VKS and Jimmy's doing sand drawings now, way to go tuff Kanaki!!!

Drawing love in the sand....

out by Anchor Inn

Aelan kakae bakegen! So this is bok choy cooked with beef, soy sauce, all poured over 'special yam' simboro handmade by sista Eve.....soooooo tasty!
Simboro is island cabbage, kind of a spinach meets seaweed plant, stuffed with grated starch (yam, manioc, taro) and then boiled in freshly made coconut milk...when done with love and care it is DIVINE!

I will never have enough Vanuatu sunsets!


sun going down over Au Fare, they have a new pizza service called Pizza Hot, no joke!

Yep this is real! #copyrightinfringementwhat?

They're garlic bread with goat cheese is AMAZING!


ale cruise ship!

I forgot that $5 is normal for a beer :(

Out in the harbor on Independence Day (July 31)


Culinary Adventures



So y'all know I love to cook, and our new kitchen is wonderful, so here's a few masterpieces thus far:

Greek night with Nicole! Spanikopita, mint parsley meatballs n zesty tzatziki sauce!

Grilled veggies, goat 'n brie cheeses, chicken penne, fresh salad

Anne made me this beautiful apple cake for my birthday, so tasty! The gummy worms were for fun (and to write my age *sigh* 31 here I am!)

Hearty lentil soup, homemade hummus n yogurt sauce, veggies n toasted pita :)

Lotus Spa has the BEST cheesecake n coffee in town!

Anne's beautiful manioc curry with basmati rice...hmmmmmm good!







2 comments: