Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Long Days Journey to Espiritu Santo

I finally made it off the island...to another island!
Left Vila Monday night for a 24 hour journey on the Vanuatu Ferry, biiigfala ship!
We departed at 7pm (we're scheduled for 6pm so perfect island time haha) and after a water safety announcement and where to properly dispose of your barfbags and dirty nappies, we chugged away all night, the boat a steady rock back and forth as they played lots action movies all night and we tried to sleep on the small benches.



It was dreadfully chilly with the AC blasting, so thank you all PCVs for warning me, I was toasty in my sleeping bag with socks and a hoodie!
Morning tea on the deck was beautiful, and it was thrilling to breath in fresh sea air while watching islands float by.






Morning sunrise!

Arriving in Malekula!


However, there was a casualty that morning....
I was napping in the sun, my sarong tied to my ankle due to the strong wind. However, when I sat up I completely forgot about my travel pillow under me and the wind snatched it and flung it overboard! I felt horrible for polluting the ocean...However since we were docked at Malekula island, I hope a family fishes it out of the water and uses it, was a comfy pillow!

I arrived safely in Santo yesterday, had kava last night, and feel like a champ this morning! Santo kava is waaay better than Vila kava, I preach tru yo.

Hoping to snorkel at the Million Dollar Point today and prepare for independence day celebrations for tomorrow, whoo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment